Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seriously Challenged


Some challenges are easy to meet than others. Way back in March I told you about this challenge project and this past week I finally finished up the quilt. The challenge was to get a dozen quilt "sandwiches" ready to go on the road with me. It was a quilt as you go project to work on during our trip to Nashville. Well those blocks went with me to Nashville, Cape San Blas, and Centralia, Illinois, even a local swim meet, and I finally have something to show for all of the hand work.
I think I mentioned that this quilt was intended as a throw for the living room, and especially to save a leather chair from Lady's sharp claws. Every time we go out and forget to close the door to that room, she feels compelled to jump up and look out the window. Sigh.
The quilting on this project was fairly random swirls and flourishes in a design suggested by some of the fabric prints. Once the sandwiches were all quilted, the blocks were joined and then those seams were quilted in-the-ditch. 
I kept the binding as unobtrusive as possible. I didn't want a border to detract from the overall flow of the piece.
And I have another new treasure to show the quilt off when it's not on chair protection duty. A friend had no place for this lovely antique quilt rack so I am the beneficiary of her largess! I'm crazy in love with this piece and can't wait to get the brass polished up a bit. 
And how did I fair with the Labor Day challenge you may be wondering? Drat! I knew I had forgotten something...

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious to see the reverse to see how you put the block sandwiches together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The back of this one is a bit funky Susan because I had to piece scraps for it, but you basically end up with 12 big blocks on the back. I've posted a couple of pictures in my Flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daisy_30306/. You can see the blocks on the back, and in the closeup, you can see that the back side of the blocks are whip-stitched together and then those seams are quilted in-the-ditch.

    ReplyDelete