Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Tit for Tat

Previously published September 24, 2007 on Inkslinger Chronicles.blogspot.com

I had an opportunity to hear the Yarn Harlot speak last week. And, since I knew that there would be a room full of knitters sitting there doing something with their hands that involved yarn and needles, and since, though I have knit in the past, it isn’t one of my current occupations, I determined to take some tatting with me. I’ve been learning how to tat with a needle – that shuttle thing is beyond me – and had an idea for Christmas ornaments. Every year my husband and I throw a big Christmas party. Last year I made ornaments, which leveraged the crazy quilt techniques and fabric I had been using to create a full size quilt, as party favors. I thought I would try to tat some to give away this year. Here is the result.

I actually only completed a couple at the event, and those didn’t have the beads. The plain ones are pretty but as a representation for a wreath, they just seemed to scream for berries. Anyway, these are a great beginner project, and once you are comfortable with the technique and the pattern, you can crank out several in an hour – a good project for time in from of the TV. However, unlike knitting, tatting does require you to look at your work a bit more often. I learned from this book by Barbara Foster of Handy Hands Tatting. Jane Eborall also has a great website with lots of free patterns and links to a whole long list of tatting blogs. Finally, you have to check out Yarnplayer's shop on Etsy. I just bought some gorgeous hand dyed thread there.
Now if anyone out there has an easy beginner’s pattern for a needle tatted snowflake, let me know…

1 comment:

  1. thanks for detailed explanation. It solved my problem. I am also looking for the Best Brother Sewing Machine. Can you please suggest a one for me?

    ReplyDelete